Here are some ideas (many from the Unofficial Guide) to help you prepare for walking 7 to 12 miles a day at Disney World or Disneyland.
- Start going on short walks now or at least several weeks before you go.
- Wear good shoes and socks. I had a friend who recently went in just sandals (because he forgot to pack socks) and he came back with some terrible blisters, not to mention the discomfort of walking with sweaty feet. Good walking shoes are a must, or running shoes even work well. If you need to, get some really comfortable/supporting inserts.
- Keep your feet, socks, and shoes dry. If they get wet, change your socks and shoes if possible.
- Bring a first aid kit with you, and make sure it includes blister treatment items like moleskin or ointment.
- Once you've prepared yourself, make sure the kids and spouses all have appropriate feet gear as well. There is nothing worse than one person with feet problems spoiling the trip for everyone else.
- Get your really supportive spouse some foot lotion so he/she can give you foot massages at night.
- If you have a serious foot condition, get some custom made orthotics (inserts) from your pediatrist.
Ideas to Keep Your Feet Comfy at Disney